Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Fathers Love

This past Wednesday evening I became a daddy for the very first time, Finn Rocket Slater was born at 6:12pm weighing in @ 7 pounds 15 ounces. Many reading probably have children of their own but just for the record if you’re thinking that I’d write about anything else 36 hours after Finn’s birth, you’re mistaken.

Holly and I decided as we found out that we were pregnant that we weren’t going to find out what we were having. We had numerous opportunities to find out and most ultra sounds began with me telling the tech or Dr, “we’re not finding out what we’re having”, to which they were grateful that I told them because finding out is the norm now days.

I was 90% sure it was a boy but there was always that slight chance of girl in the forecast. The anticipation of the delivery room was intense; I was working with holly to keep her focus on the baby she was about to hold. Minus a few details you don’t care to hear, the Dr held out the baby for me to announce “it’s a boy”.

The feeling, which many of you know, is life changing. Through the tears and laughter I instantly had a new perspective. I’ve always been the child but never the father, I can now see what it is to love and give to someone when they’re unable to give anything back to me. How I feel towards Finn is how God feels towards me. God loves me inFINNitely more than I can ever love Him.

Having Finn helps me know God in a way I never have before, Finn having me will help know Gods love for him.

1 comment:

ML Yost said...

Awesome post, Joel!